For this week, Chef Michael Angeloni shared with us this ‘Date Night Agnolotti di Zucca’ to try for Valentine’s day!
This Agnolotti di Zucca dish is the perfect dish for a date night as it’s very luxurious and great for sharing. It’s something that you can impress with, as it’s likely a meal your date hasn’t tried before. Also, if you pull this one off (it’s much easier than it sounds), you will be seen as a professional!
Date Night Agnolotti di Zucca
Severs: 1 bowl to share for 2
– 8 – 12 pc fresh squash stuffed pasta, you can find at most specialty stores that sell fresh or frozen pasta. Or if you are up for a challenge, you can make your own. Which is simply stuffing pasta with a filling made of roasted squash. However, the store bought will do fine.
– ¼ cup unsalted butter
– 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
– 10-12 fresh sage leaves
– 3-4 amaretti cookies, most grocery stores sell these
– 1pc parmigiano Reggiano for grating
– 1 cup veg oil for frying
1. Fill the large pot with water and place on the stove on high heat. In a skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot (300 degrees), carefully add in the sage leaves and cook for 1min then using the strainer remove the leaves onto a plate lined with paper towel season with salt and set aside. Note: you can reserve that oil for cooking as it will have a nice sage flavour.
2. Now that the water is boiling add a good amount of salt and drop in your pasta (fresh pasta cooks quick so have everything ready to go), depending on your pasta it will take 3-4 min to cook but follow the directions.
3. In another pan heat the butter over medium high heat, once the butter goes a nice dark nutty brown colour, carefully add in about a TBSP of lemon juice (this will splatter slightly so be careful!).
4. Using a ladle add in about 2oz of the pasta cooking water, stir this sauce it should be a nice brown colour and emulsified.
5. Now the pasta is cooked remove from the water and add to the pan and cook for 1 min (reserve some of the pasta water in case you want to loosen your sauce). Taste the sauce for salt and if you like a bit more lemon.
6. Dish out into a plate, crush up the cookies and sprinkle over, then a grating of cheese, and the crispy sage leaves.