Chef David Lee at Nota Bene sent us this awesome spring recipe for their newly added Sweet English Pea Soup.
In addition to creating this delicious new soup, Nota Bene has also launched a new after work menu:
From Monday to Friday from 4 to 7pm, Nota Bene offers $4 bar snacks – features include Chef Lee’s Banquet Burger Sliders; a Charcuterie & Cheese Tart; Calamari “A La Plancha”; and Shoshito Peppers.
– 2 cups Sweet English Peas
– 6 cups Sweet Pea blanching water
– Sugar & Salt to taste
– 1 Tbsp Butter, diced
– 1⁄4 cup Crème Fraiche
– 6 slices cooked Maple Bacon, cut into 1⁄2” pieces Edible flowers petals, for garnish ( optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Season the water with salt and sugar, until there is a good balance of salt & sweetness.
2. Setup a blender near your cooking surface.
3. Set up an ice bath, and place a stainless steel bowl over it.
4. Once the water has reached a rolling boil, blanch the peas until soft but still bright green.
5. Add the peas and butter to the blender. Puree the peas, adding enough blanching water to produce the desired consistency.
6. If not serving immediately, remove the soup to the ice bath, and cool quickly to preserve the colour.
7. If you are serving immediately, divide the hot soup equally between 4 bowls.
8. Add a dollop (roughly 1 Tbsp. per) of crème fraiche in the middle of each soup bowl.
9. Scatter the maple bacon over each bowl of soup.
10. Scatter some edible flower petals over top and finish with a drizzle of olive oil – enjoy!