It becomes more important to maintain proper oral health as you get older. This is because the natural process of ageing makes you more susceptible to dental problems. The consistent use of medication and underlying health conditions also contribute to this. The resultant effect is a change in the way that your teeth look, their strength, and functionality. You may also have to deal with decaying teeth, discolouration, infections, and loss of teeth (more so if you have a history of gum disease). All these can affect the quality of life by causing speaking and chewing issues and even bone loss.
If you’re an older adult and you’re thinking of getting teeth implants, we have put this together to give you all the information you need. Today, we will be sharing with you the factors that will be taken into consideration as well as the benefits of getting implants at an old age.
Advantages of Teeth Implants:
Teeth implants offer a range of benefits for older adults experiencing tooth loss. They provide a permanent and stable solution that closely mimics the look, feel, and functionality of natural teeth. The advantages of dental implants for older adults include:
1. Improved Overall Oral Health: Dental implants help prevent further tooth loss and maintain the structure of the jawbone. Implants don’t require the alteration of neighbouring teeth, preserving the health of surrounding teeth and gums.
2. Regain Your Beautiful Smile: Tooth loss can cause self-consciousness and affect self-esteem. Dental implants closely resemble natural teeth in both appearance and function, allowing seniors to regain their beautiful smiles and confidence in social situations.
3. Improved Speech: Missing teeth can make it difficult to pronounce words properly, leading to slurred or mumbled speech. Dental implants provide a stable foundation for artificial teeth, ensuring clear and confident speech without the worry of dentures slipping.
4. Easy Chewing: Tooth loss can make eating certain foods challenging and painful. Dental implants function like natural teeth, enabling seniors to enjoy their favourite foods without discomfort. Efficient chewing promotes better nutrition and overall health.
5. Enhanced Quality of Life: Teeth implants offer multiple benefits that significantly improve seniors’ quality of life. From improved appearance and self-confidence to restored speech and eating abilities, implants address various aspects of oral health and daily living. The convenience and comfort they provide contribute to an enhanced sense of well-being and life satisfaction. For information on the cost of All-on-4 dental implants, please visit Dentakay Dental Clinic’s blog.
6. Durability: Dental implants are designed to be a long-lasting solution, made from biocompatible materials like titanium. With proper care, they can last for decades, making them a cost-effective and reliable choice for seniors seeking a permanent solution for missing teeth.
7. Low Maintenance: Dental implants require minimal maintenance. They can be cared for like natural teeth, with regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups. This makes them a convenient and hassle-free option for seniors.
8. Support for Dentures: For seniors who already wear dentures, dental implants can provide added support and stability. Implant-supported dentures are more secure, reducing the risk of slipping or discomfort. They also help preserve jawbone density, promoting better oral health.
9. Safety: Dental implants are a safe and proven solution for tooth loss. The surgical procedure for implant placement has a high success rate and is performed by skilled dental professionals. With proper care, they provide a lasting and secure solution for seniors looking to improve their oral health.
10. Preservation of Natural Teeth: Choosing dental implants over dental bridges allows seniors to preserve their natural teeth. Dental bridges require neighbouring teeth to be ground down to support the bridge, which can weaken the teeth and lead to additional dental issues. Dental implants are independent of adjacent teeth and don’t require any alteration of healthy teeth, maintaining the overall integrity of the remaining natural teeth.
Considerations for Older Adults:
These are some considerations older adults should have in mind before opting for dental implants:
1. Overall Health: At our clinic, before we begin the procedure, we first carry out an important patient overall evaluation. As an older adult, we will consider your bone density, cardiovascular health, medications and even check for diabetes. This helps us ascertain whether you are eligible for teeth implants.
2. Bone Density and Volume: Age-related bone loss can impact the success of dental implants. In cases where bone density is low, additional procedures such as bone grafting or sinus lifts may be necessary to ensure implant stability.
3. Healing Time: Older adults may require slightly longer healing periods after dental implant surgery. The body’s natural healing processes may take more time, and post-operative care is crucial to support optimal recovery.
4. Medication Considerations: Older adults often take multiple medications for various health conditions. It is important to inform the dentist about all medications being taken, as some medications may affect the success of the implant procedure.
Post-Implant Care for Older Adults:
After dental implant surgery, proper care is important to ensure the longevity and success of the implants. This is particularly important for older adults, as they may have additional oral health concerns. Proper care includes good oral hygiene, regular dental check-ups, proper nutrition, and avoiding tobacco use, among others. At our clinic, we always provide our patients with all the information they need to care for their teeth after the procedure. This makes our patients feel more confident as they go home because they have us holding their hands.
Dental implants offer older adults a remarkable opportunity to restore their smiles and regain oral function. With careful consideration of individual health conditions and collaboration with dental implant specialists, older adults can achieve successful outcomes and enjoy the benefits of dental implants. At our clinic, we have handled dental procedures for a good number of older adults. This gives us the experience that we need to address your needs and goals as an older adult. Book a consultation with us today to enable us to take you on a journey to transform your smile.