We always look forward to finding out who made the Scotiabank Giller Prize shortlist. In previous years, they’ve provided us with solid book recommendations. This year 104 titles were submitted by publishers from across the country. The list was narrowed down to 12 books that were announced this past September.
This week, five books made the shortlist.
Here they are…
- Patrick deWitt for his novel French Exit, published by House of Anansi Press
- Eric Dupont for his novel Songs for the Cold of Heart, translated by Peter McCambridge, published by QC Fiction, an imprint of Baraka Books
- Esi Edugyan for her novel Washington Black, published by Patrick Crean Editions, an imprint of HarperCollins Canada
- Sheila Heti for her novel Motherhood, published by Knopf Canada
- Thea Lim for her novel An Ocean of Minutes, published by Viking Canada
The winner will be announced at the Gala event this coming November 19th. The event will be hosted by Rick Mercer and will air on Monday, November 19, on CBC at 8 p.m. ET (11:30 AT / Midnight NT), CBC Radio One at 8 p.m. ET (9:00 AT/ 9:30 NT) and will be live-streamed at CBCBooks.ca at 8 p.m, ET.
For more information on the titles as well as upcoming events visit scotiabankgillerprize.ca