This week’s recipe comes from Chef Mike Van den Winkel of Litter Sister. This Satay Udang (Grilled black tiger shrimp skewers) are delicious, fragrant and aromatic, with a chili sticky bite.
– 13 to 15 Jumbo Black tiger shrimps
– Bamboo skewers
– 1/2 lime
– 2 cup kecap manis
– 1/2 cup sambal ulek
– 120 grams galangal, pureed
– 20 lime leaves/ deveined/ grinned in the coffee grinder
– 1 sliced red onions at 1/8″
– 1 cup white vinegar
– 1 tsp salt
– 100 ml honey
– 50 gram cabbages- shredded
– 50 gram carrots- julienne
– 50 grams onions- finely sliced
– 1/2 red chilies- sliced
– 100grams sugar
– 2 tsp kosher salt
– 250 ml white vinegar
– 250 ml hot tap water
– 1 tbsp coriander seeds, cracked, toasted
– 1 tsp black pepper corn, cracked, toasted
1. Skewer 1-2 shrimp on each skewer, and season with salt and lightly oil them
2. Prepare shrimp glaze by combining 2 cup kecap manis, 1/2 cup sambal ulek, 120 grams pureed galangal, 20 grinded lime leaves.
3. Boil 1 cup white vinegar, 1 tsp salt and 100 ml honey and pour over sliced onions. Cover with saran wrap. Cool down to room temperature.
4. Gently crack the coriander and black pepper corn for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 tsp salt, 250ml white vinegar and 100 g sugar in a large pot and bring to a simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add 250ml hot water and strain the liquid over the cabbage, red chilis, carrots and onions. Let cool.
5. On a hot grill, grill the shrimp skewers for 3-4 minutes on both sides.
6. While on the grill , glaze the skewers on both sides with the shrimp glaze and grill for another 30 seconds on both sides.
7. Arrange shredded lettuce, and some of the pickles on a serving dish.
8. Place grilled shrimp skewers on top of the salad.
9. Squeeze with lime juice.
10. Drizzle some of the shrimp glaze over the skewers.