Chef Kyla Kennaley of Madeleines Bespoke Bakery will be competing at this year’s Pan American Food & Music Festival’s Beyond Butter Tarts Competition. The Competition runs on Saturday August 12, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at Yonge-Dundas Square and guests are invited to come down and judge for themselves. The public will be allowed to vote for their favourites. We have included the Maple Butter Tart recipe for you to try at home.
Visit this link to see all of the participating bakers.
Here is Chef Kennaley’s recipe:
For the Pastry:
• 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
• ½ tsp (2 mL) fine sea salt
• ½ cup (125 mL) cold lard or non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, cut in small pieces
• 3 Tbsp (45 mL) ice water
• 1 tsp (5 mL) white vinegar
1. In large bowl, combine flour and salt. Using pastry cutter, fork or cold hands, cut in lard or shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces (like crumbled popcorn). Form a well in centre of the dough mixture.
2. In a small bowl, combine water and vinegar. Add 2 Tbsp (30 mL) to flour. Knead until pastry holds together, being careful not to over mix and using some or all of remaining water mixture as needed. Form into a disc that’s soft with a marbled texture. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 3 days. Let pastry come to room temperature for 30 min before rolling.
3. On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to 1/4-inch (5-mm) thick. Using 4-inch (10-cm) floured round cutter or water glass, cut out 12 circles (3-inches/7.5-cm) rerolling and cutting scraps. Fit into bottom of 12 non-stick or lightly greased muffin cups (they won’t fill cups). Wrap with plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour but preferably overnight for flakier pastry.
For the Filling
• 2 free-run eggs
• 1 cup (250 mL) packed light brown sugar
• ¼ tsp (1 mL) fine sea salt
• ½ cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup
• 2 tsp (10 mL) white vinegar
• 6 Tbsp (90 mL) melted unsalted butter
• 12 pecan halves (optional)
1. For filling, in medium bowl using hand mixer or whisk, beat eggs 1 min. Beat in sugar and salt. Beat in maple syrup and vinegar, then butter. Beat 3 to 5 min until very smooth.
2. Divide filling among prepared tart shells, about 1/4 cup (60 mL) per tart. Top each with 1 nut, if desired.
3. Bake in preheated 450°F (230°C) oven 10 min. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C). Bake 10 to 15 min for gooey tarts, or 20 to 25 min for firm ones.